MAYBE THERE’S STILL HOPE
LISTEN TO THIS RADIO SHOW - LITTLE STEVEN’S UNDERGROUND GARAGE
A couple of months ago I was driving to my parent’s house at 8 on a Sunday morning after a night of partying like a rock star (which many of you know, for me means four cosmopolitans, a few swings at my barkeep and a 12:30 bedtime) when I came across Leslie Gore playing on the local mullethead station, WHJY. Eventhough The Birds, Richard Hell and the Voidoids and The Dave Clark 5 followed, it took me a while in my still-drunk haze to figure out that this was a slight side-step from the station’s usual Limp Bizkit laden playlist. That’s when I heard him – the sultry scratchy howlin growlin DJ.
“Who are you?!?!” I said.
And he answered. “I’m Little Steven and this is The Underground Garage.”
“HOTTTT!!!!!” I yelled back.
Turns out Little Steven is Little Steven - as in The E Street Band and The Sopranos. Crazy ain’t it? But the show is great. He spends each episode capturing a moment or a place in garage rock history and it isn’t just with music – it’s culture, literature, architecture, philosophy and sociology. My boy’s wicked smaht.
Every Sunday since then I’ve been waking my sorry ass up before 10 to catch at least a half-hour of Little Steven’s show because who knows when radio will ever be this good again.
To get a more coherent explanation of the show, hear archived episodes and Little Steven’s web-based juke box, or find your local radio affiliate check out Little Steven’s Underground Garage.
LISTEN TO THIS RADIO SHOW - LITTLE STEVEN’S UNDERGROUND GARAGE
A couple of months ago I was driving to my parent’s house at 8 on a Sunday morning after a night of partying like a rock star (which many of you know, for me means four cosmopolitans, a few swings at my barkeep and a 12:30 bedtime) when I came across Leslie Gore playing on the local mullethead station, WHJY. Eventhough The Birds, Richard Hell and the Voidoids and The Dave Clark 5 followed, it took me a while in my still-drunk haze to figure out that this was a slight side-step from the station’s usual Limp Bizkit laden playlist. That’s when I heard him – the sultry scratchy howlin growlin DJ.
“Who are you?!?!” I said.
And he answered. “I’m Little Steven and this is The Underground Garage.”
“HOTTTT!!!!!” I yelled back.
Turns out Little Steven is Little Steven - as in The E Street Band and The Sopranos. Crazy ain’t it? But the show is great. He spends each episode capturing a moment or a place in garage rock history and it isn’t just with music – it’s culture, literature, architecture, philosophy and sociology. My boy’s wicked smaht.
Every Sunday since then I’ve been waking my sorry ass up before 10 to catch at least a half-hour of Little Steven’s show because who knows when radio will ever be this good again.
To get a more coherent explanation of the show, hear archived episodes and Little Steven’s web-based juke box, or find your local radio affiliate check out Little Steven’s Underground Garage.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home