5.08.2003

THIS IS PROBABLY NOT WHAT LEMMY HAD IN MIND....

The Defense Intelligence Agency has issued decks of playing cards to U.S. troops, which depict the 55 most wanted “criminals” in Iraq, to assist them in identifying Iraqi government officials for capture.
Since then, of course, the deck was picked up by the U.S. Playing Card company, and other manufacturers, who are dealing out the deck at about $6 per pack.
In case you haven’t yet seen these through the papers, the t.v. or the internet pop-up ads for the deck – the camoflouge cards identify the leaders with a name, title and photograph. Including Saddam Hussein as, what else but, the Ace of Spades.
I’m sorry, am I the only one who finds this excruciatingly funny? Do you suppose that, just like advertising executives, more and more Defense Intelligence officials are suddenly the people from our age bracket? The people who sit around with their friends getting wasted after work with a case of Heineken (see post from May 1) and deciding things like “Yeah, this Buzzcocks song should definitely be in that Mitsubishi commercial I’m working on!”
In any case, even though it’s definitely not what Motorhead had in mind when they released the song (and album of the same title) in 1980, nowadays “Ace of Spades” reads like a love letter from Saddam to little Georgie W. Or maybe it’s just me…

Motorhead - Ace of Spades ©1980
If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
You win some, lose some, it's all the same to me
The pleasure is to play, it makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is...
The ace of spades, the ace of spades

Playing for the high one, dicing with the devil
Going with the flow, it's all a game to me
Seven or eleven, snake eyes watching you
Double up or quit, double stack or split
The ace of spades, the ace of spades

You know I'm born to lose
And gamblin' is for fools
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever

And don't forget the Joker...

Pushing up the ante, I know you want to see me
Read them and weep, the dead man's hand again
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die
The only thing you'll see, you know it's gonna be
The ace of spades, the ace of spades

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home