RECORD OF THE WEEK - EPOXIES THE EPOXIES Dirtnap Records
When I was 4-years-old sitting in front of my Big Big Portable Phono listening to Cyndi Lauper, staring out the window and swaying front to back, this is the record I was dreaming of.
Can one little record really encapsulate the mental soundtrack that's been running in MTV fed-head since then? YES.
It's everything I ever loved about New Wave, No Wave and Boston Street Punk.
You think I'm exaggerating, but when you hear Roxy Epoxy's robotic, hiccupping voice and Viz Spectrum's Britain-circa-'77 guitar riffs, you too will testify.
Fritz M. Static's clever use of synth bombs and whistles puts you back in front of your old Atari set while Kid Polymer and Dr. Grip bang out the same kind of straightforward "Rhythm Prescription" that made The Ramones turn on your teenage groin.
Not to mention the fact that the album is mostly neurotic love songs that you'd swear you wrote yourself.
Maybe it's a memory or maybe it's a dream but this record makes me as happy as I was in my days of Dial MTV with Adam Curry.
When I was 4-years-old sitting in front of my Big Big Portable Phono listening to Cyndi Lauper, staring out the window and swaying front to back, this is the record I was dreaming of.
Can one little record really encapsulate the mental soundtrack that's been running in MTV fed-head since then? YES.
It's everything I ever loved about New Wave, No Wave and Boston Street Punk.
You think I'm exaggerating, but when you hear Roxy Epoxy's robotic, hiccupping voice and Viz Spectrum's Britain-circa-'77 guitar riffs, you too will testify.
Fritz M. Static's clever use of synth bombs and whistles puts you back in front of your old Atari set while Kid Polymer and Dr. Grip bang out the same kind of straightforward "Rhythm Prescription" that made The Ramones turn on your teenage groin.
Not to mention the fact that the album is mostly neurotic love songs that you'd swear you wrote yourself.
Maybe it's a memory or maybe it's a dream but this record makes me as happy as I was in my days of Dial MTV with Adam Curry.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home