4.26.2007

What's Happening

Today as my mom and I waited in the queue by the freeway on-ramp near her work we saw two dogs running along side our car on the grass median dividing the on-ramp from the rush hour traffic just outside Providence. The fact that it was a large black Lab and a tiny brown Chihuahua (both with tags on) was remarkable enough but it was even more noteworthy when we realized the Lab wasn't able to stop the Chihuahua from running all the way to the end of the median.

"OH NO! NO! NO! NO!" we yelled out the window as all the cars in the queue parked and drivers started getting out. A van pulled up behind us, onto the median, and the couple inside managed to call the Lab into their car.
The young guy in front of us tried to get the Chihuahua but it cut right off the median and straight onto the highway. I covered my eyes but took my hands away in time to see a bus stop just short of hitting the dog. We called to it again but it sprinted across the freeway, into the fast lane, nearly causing three pile-ups, and took off in the foot-wide emergency lane along the freeway's center divide heading south against the traffic.
The kid in front of us pulled out, we did, and the van with the Lab followed. I got out at the next exit and dialed 911 while my mom and I panted in fear.
911: [mumble mumble mumble] state your emergency.
Carla: This is crazy but there's a loose Chihuahua on I-95
911: I'll connect you to state police.
State Police: [mumble mumble mumble] state your emergency
Carla: This is going to sound crazy but there is a dog, a brown chihuahua running south on I-95 north in the emergency lane by the high speed lane
State Police: A loose dog? What exit?
Carla: We're heading north on 95 and the dog is running south. Near the School St. exit. But it's nearly at the previous exit. This dog is going to cause a pile-up. And it's going to get mulched.
State Police: We'll send someone to check it out right away.
Carla: Thank you!
My Mom: good work, Carla!

Four blocks later as we sat quietly trying to digest the nightmare reality of that little, brown Chihuahua's fate we passed the Vet's Bar by the Newport Creamery and chilling out front on the sidewalk was...A GOOSE!! a fucking GOOSE! a large, canadian goose!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

liar!
jj

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home