6.20.2006

It felt a lot like a Monday

little gray booksThis makes me understand a little more about people who like John Hodgman and maybe even like him a little myself. Although, I think it's for different reasons than Seth Stevenson, Slate's Ad Report Card writer. Or Hodgman's appearance in the Apple commercials.
I've never read his book, The Areas of My Expertise, and i've been annoyed by his writing elsewhere. Especially his piece on comics from the NYT which somehow, simultaneously, comes too close to Johanthan Franzen *and* Jonathan Lethem's takes on 'what comics should be.' (whatever. how many boys are going to tell us the same story?) I would link to it if Times Select didn't exist.
That said, it still made me finally download a podcast.

I spend a lot of time at my computer but it's usually in silence. Except for the majority of the day when we have KALX blaring in the kitchen.

Back in the day when I had an office job, I listened to a lot of archived episodes of This American Life and On Point. Those were pre-podcast days and when the office job went the archives went with it. These podcasts are amusing but not astounding. i'm going to guess that the live versions are much more...live. but I'm glad something made me come back into the fold

sonic youth the wire
Also, this arrived today. I'd been waiting for the Sonic Youth covers to start rolling in and this was a good start. It's got a good interview and overview of the band's scope (everywhere/elsewhere) without getting tripped up in hokey anniversary coverage. The Wire is, if nothing else, consistently elite. Sometimes it's glorious and sometimes it's horrifying. lucky for me... the band even speaks to and confirms some of my fangrrrl theories which gave me that pathetic kind of validation that genuine nerds thrive on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home