THEN I ACCIDENTALLY STEPPED IN IT
So, although there's little to report, I'm reporting anyway. Mostly, for the lack of anything better to do. The days of the poor and unemployed and long and tedious.
So here's a couple of the bland and bizarre events I've been witness to in the fair city of Oakland.
*Last week, as I walked up Broadway in downtown, I approached an older woman dressed in a floral church dress and white, straw hat standing in front of the old Fox Theater. Closer inspection revealed that this woman was grinding her white, orthopedic shoes into a pile of dog shit. The shit was hers, having been emptied from several plastic baggies, some of which still contained bits and pieces of the assorted dog droppings (different color variations and textures) she'd assembled over who knows how many days. There are no words for the simultaneous horror and indifference I felt at having witnessed this.
*Also, last week I went to the corner crack store (not for crack, although it is readily available there) for some cigarettes and ended up in line behind a kid who looked to be about seven years old. He was trying to decide the his best possible candy purchase for his 50 cents. As an avid candy freak I knew all the good stuff was at least 75 cents so I offered him my 25 cent change. In response he said, "I don't need your charity, bitch." Then I said, "It's not charity. I like candy too and I know everything good is 75 cents." He just gave me a dirty look and I left. Hey, if a seven year old kid has decided on the set of principles he wants to follow then who am I to question him.
So, although there's little to report, I'm reporting anyway. Mostly, for the lack of anything better to do. The days of the poor and unemployed and long and tedious.
So here's a couple of the bland and bizarre events I've been witness to in the fair city of Oakland.
*Last week, as I walked up Broadway in downtown, I approached an older woman dressed in a floral church dress and white, straw hat standing in front of the old Fox Theater. Closer inspection revealed that this woman was grinding her white, orthopedic shoes into a pile of dog shit. The shit was hers, having been emptied from several plastic baggies, some of which still contained bits and pieces of the assorted dog droppings (different color variations and textures) she'd assembled over who knows how many days. There are no words for the simultaneous horror and indifference I felt at having witnessed this.
*Also, last week I went to the corner crack store (not for crack, although it is readily available there) for some cigarettes and ended up in line behind a kid who looked to be about seven years old. He was trying to decide the his best possible candy purchase for his 50 cents. As an avid candy freak I knew all the good stuff was at least 75 cents so I offered him my 25 cent change. In response he said, "I don't need your charity, bitch." Then I said, "It's not charity. I like candy too and I know everything good is 75 cents." He just gave me a dirty look and I left. Hey, if a seven year old kid has decided on the set of principles he wants to follow then who am I to question him.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home